Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Homemade chocolate syrup!

Ok so I make a lot of new recipes, every week cruising Pinterest for dinner and snack ideas. Once in awhile I get a doozy though. Like seriously strike gold! This is one of those recipes and I wanted to be sure to share it and never lose it!!

Savannah LOVES her chocolate milk...I mean really loooooooooves it.  I like to drink a small glass after a run or workout too!  We recently made the switch to drinking a local farm's raw milk since we are really trying to watch just what we put into our bodies!  Out of chocolate syrup the other day and when I looked at the back of the bottle in the grocery store and realized there were way too many things listed, half of which I couldn't pronounce, its like putting garbage into the really good quality farm fresh raw milk we buy! So, I googled a recipe and realized how easy it was and I had everything on hand already! I used a easy and highly rated recipe I found online and made some changes based on all the comments & I left out the dash of salt it called for.

Homemade chocolate syrup!
 
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
 
original recipe here
 
 
Add water and sugar to a small saucepan, heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the sugar dissolves (basically you just make simple syrup).  Once sugar is dissolved add the cocoa whisking constantly until it comes to a low simmer, it will NOT thicken much so don't worry.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes then pour into glass bottle or mason jar, pop in fridge and once completely cooled (we let ours sit overnight) it will be thickened up to the consistency of the store bottled stuff!
 
I will NEVER buy bottled chocolate syrup again!  Soooooo very good & literally 5 minutes to put together!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment